Skyview High School Student Newspaper -Nampa, Id

The Talon

Filed under Alumni, Sports

An Eventful Night

NAMPA—it was an eventful night Friday, Jan. 31st, at Skyview High School as three people were inducted into the Skyview Hall of Fame and both Hawk Basketball teams took on the Middleton Vikings.

The evening started with the boys basketball team first as they went up against powerhouse Middleton. Top scorers for the game were Austin Sharp with 20 points and Holton Hyde with 14 points. Hagen Graves and Holton Hyde were then the Hawks leading rebounders of the night each with eight. Even though the game did not go in the Hawks favor, the ending score being 65-55, they still played hard up until the final buzzer.

Soon after the Skyview Hall of Fame inducted three new prestigious members. First was graduate of 2003, Student-Athlete, Julene Bailey-Kaufusi. Bailey-Kaufusi lettered in Track & Field from 2000-2003. Some of her individual accomplishments while at Skyview are being a three year captain of the Skyview Track & Field team, four time Girls District Pole Vault Champion (2000-2004), four time Girls State Pole Vault Champion (2000-2003), two time Gatorade Athlete of the Year, one of 12 girls chosen for the Nike High School Women Athlete of the Year Award (2002-2003), and she holds the Girls State 4A record in Pole Vaulting at 12’ 7”(2001). She was also a major contributor in helping her Skyview Track & Field team win the 2000 Girls District and State Championships. After graduation she became the highest-ranking female athlete to sign with the BYU Women’s Track & Field team. Julene Bailey-Kaufusi then went on to graduate from BYU in 2009 with a Bachelor’s in Education.

Second was graduate of 1999, Student-Athlete, Jerry Smith. Smith has three varsity letters in Football (1997-1999), two in Baseball (1997, 1998), and two in Track & Field (1998, 1999). Some of his individual accomplishments include being captain of the Skyview Football team (1999), being All Conference in Football (1997-1999) and Baseball (1997, 1998), All State in Football (1999), and holding a record in the 200m Dash. After graduation Smith went to Boise State University where he received a Bachelor Degree in Kinesiology. He played football for Boise State (1999-2003) and received Honorable Mention All-Conference, and Academic All-American. In 2012 he started up Boise Generals (Rocky Mountain Football League) and is the owner, a coach, and a player; he also coaches football at Nampa Christian High School.

And third was Distinguished Service Award recipient Kevin Stanger for accomplishments, contribution, and service to Skyview High School. Stanger graduated in 1984 from Brigham Young University with a Bachelor Degree in Mathematics and then received his Masters Degree in Education Administration from the University of Idaho in 1999. Stanger started his career at Skyview as the Athletic Director in 1996-1998, became Assistant principle from 1998-1999, then in 2000 he became the second Lead Principle in Skyview’s history serving until 2004. Then from 2004-2007, Stanger was a Chief Education Officer for the Nampa School District. Stanger is now currently serving as the Professor/Department Chair of the BYU-Idaho Education Department. Kevin Stanger has balanced many roles as a teacher, coach, athletic director, principal, CEO, friend, husband, and grandfather. Four of his children graduated from Skyview High School, well prepared by caring teachers and coaches. During his years in Nampa, Stanger has provided phenomenal support to the staff, students, and parents of Skyview High School. He is dedicated loyal, and a hard working man that laid a solid foundation at Skyview High School for those that followed in his footsteps.

All three of these inductees were instrumental in establishing a tradition of excellence at Skyview. They were outstanding teammates, leaders, and people who made everyone around them better. Their leadership, performance, and commitment created an important foundation for Skyview’s culture of success. They have showed that it is great to be a Hawk.

Soon after the Lady Hawks basketball team hosted their Senior Night and their five seniors were honored for the years of service they have put into the girls basketball program. It was a close game the entire night with the Lady Hawks being up by only a few meager points, but as the Hawks emerged from the locker room they dominated the Lady Vikings outscoring and outrebounding them. Top scorers for the night were Bailey Pasta with 11 points and Leah Bonner with 10 points. Pasta and Bonner then both had the most rebounds with seven each. The Lady Hawks went on to beat the Lady Vikings 45-32 to maintain their flawless season record. The Hawks have one season game left against the Nampa Bulldogs on Feb. 4th, and they will then progress into their district tournament. GO HAWKS!