Skyview High School Student Newspaper -Nampa, Id

The Talon

SHS Welcomes Tyler DeLay

Taylor Consigny, Staff Writer

Tyler Jordan DeLay is a Freshman English teacher at Skyview High School.  DeLay just started working as a teacher at Skyview at the beginning of this year, and a small little fact about him is he likes to eat peanut butter and even has a little dish of it on his desk just for him to snack on.

Some of DeLay’s hobbies include cooking, hiking, snowboarding in the winter, exercising, and photography of mostly landscapes and portraiture.  DeLay says that his favorite book character – the one he can relate to most – is Dill Harris (Charles Baker) from To Kill A Mockingbird.  He likes this character because “he knows how to enjoy life,” and just wants to spread happiness in the world.  DeLay is not married, nor does he have any kids.  He says he is still too young to have children just yet.  (Bonus tidbit: His favorite color is teal; he says he is just very drawn to the color.)

Where does DeLay see himself five, ten, or even twenty years from now?  Well, he says that he would like to own his own house, away from his parents eventually.  DeLay would also like to go on a “food pilgrimage” – when someone travels the world in search of the food native to whatever place they are in at the time, much like what Guy Fieri does.

What does he think is the most rewarding part of his job?  DeLay likes coming into class and making students’ days better because not everyone deserves to feel awful. He also wants to question the ways in which his students think, to see the patterns in which they think, and how their brains process things differently than other kids or adults.  And lastly, he loves to get students to a higher level of thinking.

A typical day in the life of Mr. DeLay often begins with waking up super early to let his three dogs out. He then sits down and has coffee, eats breakfast, and reads. After breakfast, DeLay then leaves his house to come to school and get his classroom ready for the day, and then stays after school to grade and prepare the lesson plan for the next day.  After he finishes at school, he goes to the gym, watches his favorite TV shows, makes dinner for himself and his parents, and then the process starts over again.

There are a few things that DeLay doesn’t like about his job, and they really only pertain to students.  Students tend to forget that, sometimes, the things they say can have an effect on the person they are talking to, and although it may not be a big effect, it’s still there.  Sometimes, their behavior also irritates him, because when a student is in a bad mood, they always want to try and put him or other students in a bad mood, as well.  All DeLay wants from his students is their consideration.