Skyview High School Student Newspaper -Nampa, Id

The Talon

SHS Welcomes Lindsay Godar

Brooke Yeomans, Staff Writer

Lindsay Godar grew up in Boise and moved away after college.  She taught out-of-state for many years and recently moved back and is now happy to call Skyview her new school.

Her average day is super busy with managing the different parts of her job.  Godar loves working with every student, as well as making sure that everyone is engaged and having fun.

“The most daunting part of work has always probably been grading papers,” Godar said.  “The most rewarding part of my job, though, is seeing my students grow and having a personal connection with them. Making learning fun and enjoyable is something that is important to me.”

In high school, Godar was rather shy and generally kept to herself.  She really cared about her grades and tried extremely hard in everything she did.  Godar was involved in swim club, ski team, and debate.  During high school, she had three jobs: She worked in a sandwich shop, as a swimming instructor, and a dishwasher.  She saved the money she earned from the desire to go to college out of state.

“In college,” she recalls, “I think my greatest challenge was deciding what I wanted to major in.  Originally, I was going to be a pharmacist.  The idea of being a teacher was more of a backup plan.”

But here she is 10 years into her career as a teacher.  “In the next ten years, I still see myself teaching at Skyview, and hopefully I’ll be able to travel somewhere new,” Godar said.

On a personal level, she is married, enjoys the outdoors, and still loves swimming and skiing.

“I have always loved traveling, and I’ve been to many different countries,” Godar said. “One of my best memories is the first time I traveled.  I went alone and met up with some friends in Amsterdam.  I just loved the feeling of being excited and scared, but most of all, the feeling of being free.”

While in Amsterdam, she also visited the Anne Frank Memorial Museum. “It was especially interesting because at the time I was teaching 8th grade, and that grade is when Anne’s diary is one of the books in the curriculum,” Godar said.

Her favorite country that she has traveled to is Egypt.

“It was like a different planet there, and there was so much culture to be immersed in and many relics to see.  I went to the Valley of the Kings and saw the tombs, and looked at some of the pictographs,” Godar said. “I found Egypt especially interesting because of its ancient culture.  Compared to America’s fairly new culture, it was extremely different, and I found that captivating.”

Her favorite book is a hard pick, but she decided that one of her favorites is Lord of the Flies.

“I love the satire in it and the reverse psychology.  I like the characters and craziness in the book.  In general, I enjoy books that make you think, and characters that are defiant,” she said.