Skyview High School Student Newspaper -Nampa, Id

The Talon

The Clown Epidemic

Taylor Consigny, Staff Writer

Kelly was sitting on the black beanbag chair in the corner of her cozy, aesthetically pleasing bedroom, scrolling through Tumblr on her silver MacBook that was placed evenly on her outstretched legs. She was scrolling through her dash when something slightly unsettling, at first glance, passed through. She quickly slid her fingers up the touchpad. An eerie face rested still on the screen, the unsettlingly wide eyes seemingly staring into her very soul. The thing was wearing a gory and bloodily shredded mask that you would be sold in a Halloween store – but one made specifically for adults. There was absolutely no way that this would be sold in a regular Halloween store, or this psychopath ripped it up and did the damage to it himself.

Her eyes skimmed the picture once more and then she read the link below it, the title reading “Killer Clowns Taking Forests and nearby Towns by Storm.” Kelly clicked the link out of sheer curiosity, and maybe a little terror. How could she know if this epidemic was real or not? As she skimmed through the article, a tremor wracked her body, and she shrunk away from the screen slightly, the same picture was displayed between paragraphs of the article, and it shook her up every time she saw it – after all, clowns were her worst nightmare. As she was skimming through, her eyes caught a line in the article that stated, “If you spot a clown, whether you’re in a car or walking around at night, run or drive away as fast as possible, you never know if they’re violent or passive – we warn you not to take this chance.”

She slowly reached for the lid and shut her laptop, splaying her hands on top of the casing that holds the screen. The gears in her mind were turning, processing everything she had just read. Kelly glances up at her open window, a crisp breeze blowing her curtains around softly, remembering she lived by a forest, she swiftly stood up and slammed the window shut in one motion, and fell back onto her bean-bag, letting herself be enveloped on all sides by the cushion. She let out a breath she didn’t know she had been holding, sinking back into the chair.

Kelly opened up her laptop again and started typing rapidly, trying to gather as much information as possible, only pausing to watch the disturbing videos that people were posting and reading long paragraphs they had written to explain how they were trying to lure children into the woods with money and candy. It was hard to tell which were real and which were fake. A lot of sites and people stated that the sightings were false, just a hoax to scare people as it was nearing Halloween.

She decided that she would text the group chat she had with her friends that were oddly silent for once and ask if any of them had heard about the clowns popping up. All she got from it were confused responses and, “I’ll look it up’s.” They texted back shortly after, starting to freak out themselves, spouting theories they’d read about on the Internet, talking about the oh-so-creepy masks they saw as they were looking through pictures.

The sun started to set as her friends kept quadruple texting the group message, so she decided that she needed sleep more than the need she had to figure out why these psychotic people were dressing as clowns and trying to scare and abduct children.

Kelly awoke in the middle of the night to some noise coming from her window. She froze, her body going completely rigid. She squeezed her eyes shut and tried to wake up, believing it was a dream and that there wasn’t actually a clown trying to climb in through her window. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t wake up from this horrid nightmare, but nothing happened. After she had come back to reality, without opening her eyes, she realized that the rustling had stopped and there was a slight draft coming from her window. She slowly opened her eyes and realized there was a clown eye-level with her. She screamed a blood-curdling, horrifyingly disturbing shriek, and that’s when she noticed the knife. The knife was clean, looked freshly sharpened and almost as long as a katana. She moved her eyes back up to where the clown’s eyes were. She was frozen in place, completely unable to move.

On the mask, there was a horrifying smile etched onto it, like someone had removed the skin in a precise curved fashion, extending from the top of the cheekbone, cascading down and over the mouth, and up to the top of the other cheekbone. He laughed menacingly and twisted his head at odd angles, raising his knife above Kelly’s fear-induced paralyzed body. Right as he sunk the knife into her side, she awoke in a panic, drenched in sweat, looking around her dark room, almost getting to the point of calm, when out her window, she spotted two green, glowing eyes staring back at her, a single finger tapping at the window, asking to be let in.