Skyview High School Student Newspaper -Nampa, Id

The Talon

1999 Blair Witch Project Review

Taylor Consigny, Staff Writer

The Blair Witch Project is an older movie, at least the one that came out in 1999, and is best when watched alone in the dark. The movie is about three film students, Heather Donahue, Joshua Leonard, and Michael C. Williams, that travel to a small town in Maryland, called Burkittsville, to interview some townspeople about the Blair Witch. The legend has it that a hermit named Rustin Parr had taken children to his basement in his house, out in the middle of the woods, and made one stand in the corner as she murdered the other, which into play later on in the movie. This hermit claimed to have been possessed by the spirit of Elly Kedward, who was executed for witchcraft in the 18th century. On their second day in Burkittsville, they head into the forest. Soon after they enter, they are in it for several days after they get lost following a map. Strange things start occurring after they get hopelessly lost, and they start to go missing one by one.

This movie is a good one for watching alone in the middle of the night, because of all the jump-scares and suspense that frequently occurs throughout the film. I found it to be extremely bone-chilling the first few times I watched it, and when you aren’t expecting it, the end takes you by surprise. The acting in this movie is excellent. It almost seems like it isn’t a movie, and you’re watching actual footage that was found in the middle of nowhere with genuine terror and helplessness involved. Some sources claim that all, if not most, of the movie was improvisation, and that what the actors were expressing was genuine fear and completely not knowing what to do or what was going to happen next. This could be nothing more than a rumor, but the acting was good enough that it was believable. That fear the actors are emitting seems to seep through the television and into your body as you watch this movie. It’s surprisingly creepy in some subtle and not-so-subtle ways.

Overall this movie is perfect for the creepy, movie loving masochists that just look to terrify themselves, and is not for the faint of heart or those who get vertigo from watching things move too quickly. If you’re looking for an old movie that still meets the standards of “scary” then this one is for you, and I might be biased because I think it’s one of the best I have ever seen, but either way it’s still perfect for anyone looking for a scare.